The African Union force AMISOM has denied reports its convoy was attacked outside Mogadishu Monday as claimed by Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant, ISIL in a post.
AMISOM spokesperson Joe Kibet told Goobjoog News the reports were false but confirmed there was an explosion at KM 13, some 13 kilometres south west of Mogadishu.
“Our convoy had just passed some junction at KM13 when they heard an explosion. They turned back and established it was an improvised explosive device, IED explosion. There were no military or civilian casualties,” said Kibet.
ISIL Monday claimed responsibility for what it said its fighters detonated a bomb targeting African Union troops on the outskirts of Mogadishu.
A break away faction of Al-Shabaab led by a former UK-based preacher Abdul Qadir Mumin declared allegiance to ISIL late last year but Al-Shabaab leadership purged the group in a bid to maintain its loyalty to al-Qaeda.
Meanwhile AMISOM has confirmed Al-Shabaab attempted to attack its base in Janale, Lower Shabelle Tuesday morning but they were repulsed.
“Indeed there was an attempted attack on our base in Janale this morning but our forces quickly foiled the attempts. We are still gathering more information on the incident,” Kibet said.
Al-Shabaab attacked the Janale base last year killing about 50 Ugandan soldiers who were based at the camp.