Skip to content

Madina hospital destroyed by fire five hours after Banaadir Hospital pharmacy went up in flames

Storyline:National News

Barely five hours after fire razed down the drug store of the biggest public hospital in the country, Banaadir Mother and Child Hospital, the second biggest hospital Madina, Tuesday morning was engulfed in fire with the operating theatre reduced into ashes.

The fire which started at around 8.30 am local time destroyed theatre equipment, drugs, and operating tables according to the hospital director Mohamed Yusuf. The directore said they suspected electrical fault.

A section of the operating theatre destroyed by fire

Fire fighting officials from Mogadishu City Council were able to contain the fire before spreading to other sections of the hospital.

Banaadir governor Yussuf Jima’ale told Goobjoog News police were investigating the matter and would release findings soon. “We are also suspicious of this because if happened within a short time after Madina Hospital caught fire last night. We are investigating the matter,” said Jima’ale.

Abdirisack Hassan Ali, Benadir Hospital director told journalists they suspected electrical fault may have caused the fire.

The Banadir Mother and Child Hospital which is in the Wadajir District of Mogadishu is the only hospital in Somalia that has been operational throughout the civil war.

The two hospitals are under private management and the government last year requested the managers to hand over the facilities to the administration of Banaadir.

No-one was injured in the blaze.
























Workers and communities surrounding Madina Hospital have been involved in citizen operation on Monday to tackle a fire at a hospital hostel building

The fire, which started around 8:30 A.M., destroyed some theatre equipment and medicines.

The fire is suspected to have emanated from an electric appliance which was left on with one of the workers at the hospital since there was black out starting from yesterday.

No-one was injured in the blaze.




“Most of us had moved out and we just got information that it caught fire mysteriousily,” he said.